Monday, January 12, 2009

The rain is like an orchestra to me...

[Listening to...Rachael Yamagata - Horizon]
Someday I hope to find the horizon
I've been all around the world
and nothing is clear

Sometimes, I experience an infinitesimal sliver of time that is perfect. When God decides to gift me with one of those minute instants, I savor every second, never knowing when it might go away (nor when I might experience it again). Most the time when it happens, I'm driving, either early morning or late at night, music blasting at volume level 10. The clouds, slate gray marbled with white, slowly shift, opening and closing little windows to the midnight blue sky. Sometimes it rains in torrents, giants sheets of water washing over my car, the sound drowned out by the music. The loud, dramatic rock blaring, I watch as the water drains down the windshield, like a liquid looking glass, constantly distorting my view. At other times, the rain is merely an afterthought, a soft percussion of droplets providing a constant background to the soft voices paired a gentle guitar. The streetlights, dim and distant, occasionally provide wavering light on the street. The cold light gently flickers, like a dying flame. Time drifts on by with no hurry and I go with it, content to extend this slow perfection to eternity if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment